This past Sunday, in the beautiful slice of paradise known locally as Byron Bay, Australia, legendary shaper and surfer, Bob McTavish, and his team threw their 3rd Annual McTavish Trim Contest. Hosted alongside the Byron Bay Surf Fest, the contest takes place at the local break Wategos, where 18 longboarders were pitted against each other for the coveted title of 'Doyen of Trim'.
Check out the recap video above shot by the talented Nathan Oldfield for McTavish Surf! Much thanks to Hunter Thomson, Dave Thew, Jess Parkes and Matt Ireland for all the beautiful photographs below!
Taking a ripe 3rd place in this year's contest, and being donned the 'Disciple of Trim', was our very own Jared Mell, the Bang Bang of Boogie. We had Jared describe in 10 bullet points his highlights of the event.
JARED MELL: 10 THINGS I LOVED ABOUT THE FEST
1. The trim event was amazing, but my #1 enemy beat me again.... Al Knost
2. The rain decided to shit on everything except for the day we surfed
3. Hanging with the small amount of friends that I have
4. Breaking Tom Wegner's corky board in half
5. Tom telling me to keep surfing on his broken board
6. The 'Art Show' with Ozzie Wrong, Otis Scary & Tim Kerr
7. Peter Crawford's photography show at A Spot Of Genius
8. Alex stealing my own board in the final
9. Alex riding the board he stole from me up onto the rocks
10. Everyone shredding together and staying happy as a clam
FINAL RESULTS FOR THE MCTAVISH TRIM 18 EVENT